In the economic downturn it is a challenge to successfully set yourself up in business but it is far from impossible. Setting up as a Counsellor or Life Coach can be a daunting process. So where do you start? Before embarking on your journey it is important to think about various factors.
- Who are your target client group?
- Where are they located?
- Will you work from home or will you need to rent a consulting room?
- Do you have a niche or are you offering general services?
- Have you had the right type of training?
- Do you need public liability insurance or a police check?
Location is really important when setting up in private practice. Consider the following questions:
- How will people get to you?
- Is the location suitable for all service users?
Once you have a location set up you can start advertising your services. I cannot over emphasis the importance of a good website in promoting yourself and your business. If you do not know where to start, check out your competitors, the idea is not to copy but to get ideas.
- What do you like or dislike about their sites?
- What caught your eye?
- What image are you trying to promote?
- What message are you trying to get across?
Get an idea of what works for you, ask your friends and family about what they look for in a good website or service. Start putting your ideas down on paper. A good website does not come over night, it evolves. Once you have your ideas, approach a web designer about your ideas or use an online service that provides website templates.
Once your website is in place, you need to consider how you can optimise your new website for search engines such as Google, yahoo, Bing etc. This can be a complicated process, which can often be helped by a company specialising in Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). It is no good having a fantastic website that no one can find.
So now you have your location ready and you have a website advertising your services, what else do you need? Well, you need clients and this means marketing. There are various methods you can use for marketing: leaflets, business cards, networking & social media will all help to promote your business.
These are only a few points you need to consider, if you wish to have one-to-one coaching sessions on setting up your business please contact me for further details.